SALT LAKE CITY, Utah -- Because of the immense growth and popularity of the festival, the 8th annual X-Dance Action Sports Film Festival has moved into Salt Lake City this year. Action sport filmmakers, top athletes, cutting-edge bands, DJs and key figures from the entertainment industry will gather in Salt Lake City, Utah, to celebrate action sports culture at the X-Dance Action Sports Film Festival. Launched in 2001, no other event on earth harnesses the creative energy of adrenaline culture and brings it together under one roof like X-Dance.
Running side-by-side with the Sundance Film Festival, the X-Dance Festival will be held in Salt Lake City on January 19-23, 2007. The festival headquarters and screening room are located at the Off-Broadway Theater (272 South Main Street) with VIP parties occurring at The Broadway Bistro and the Award Ceremony/Closing Party at The Depot on Wednesday, January 23, in conjunction with the opening of Outdoor Retailer Convention. Most events are open to the public. Details below.
“X-Dance and Salt Lake are a match made in heaven and the festival’s move to Salt Lake simply strengthens the message that Salt Lake is the hub for outdoor recreation,” comments Scott Beck, president & CEO of the Salt Lake Convention & Visitors Bureau. “Hosting X-Dance in Salt Lake further complements the incredible exposure that began with the annual Outdoor Retailer Winter and Summer trade shows, and has come full circle with events like the AST Dew Tour and now the X-Dance Action Sports Film Festival. Without a doubt, Salt Lake is taking its rightful place as the epicenter of year-round outdoor recreational opportunities.”
X-Dance Festival Director Brian Wimmer adds, “X-Dance, our international action sports film festival, has found a new home in the welcoming arms of Salt Lake City. As SLC is becoming the “Mecca” for action sports, it is the perfect place to host X-Dance as we have been growing at an exponential pace. X-Dance fits perfectly with two huge SLC events, namely, The Sundance Film Festival and The Outdoor Retailer Convention. All three will happen simultaneously in Salt Lake this January.
The 5-day festival will include:
· Screenings open to the Public of top action sports films from industry stalwarts like Matchstick, Studio 411, VAS, Teton Gravity Research, Transworld, Fleshwound Films & Rush Sports, Absinthe Films, Globe, Tony Hawk’s 900 Films, Alterna Films, and Whyte House Productions, as well as noteworthy work by emerging talent and world premieres. Screenings run Saturday, January 19 thru Tuesday, January 22, from noon to 10:00 p.m., then again on Wednesday, January 23 from noon 5 p.m. at the Off-Broadway Theater (272 South Main St.) located across from the Gallivan Trax stop. Street parking or use the Wells Fargo and Tower lots. Tickets are $5 per movie or $30 for a 5-day pass. The X-Dance film schedule is listed on the website: www.x-dance.com
· Open forums for question and answer sessions after each screening with filmmakers and featured athletes.
· Several world premieres and special screenings including the “Against the Grain,” The Tara Dakides Documentary, “199 Lives” on motocross maverick Travis Pastrana, and epic ski flick “Deep Winter,” mostly shot in Utah. The Aussie surf film “Bra Boys,” narrated by Russell Crowe, will kick off the opening night.
· X-Dance Awards Ceremony and Closing Party at THE DEPOT will be held on Wednesday, January 23 and hosted by Olympic commentator Pat Parnell. Industry stars and celebrities join bands and DJs to celebrate the best in action sports filmmaking, while the extraordinary VJ, Brien Pullman, transforms the enormous room into a mesmerizing, wall-to-wall montage of action sports imagery. Musical performances by Oakland hip hop masters Souls of Mischief, a feisty foursome band of microphone marauders and beat plunderers, along with the Villains, a funky up-beat DJ trio from LA whosse dance floor-destroyers tracks are all backed by turntablism talent. Doors open at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are available to the public at The Depot box office $30 in advance; $35 day of event. (13 N 400 West, Salt Lake City; 801-456-2800) or online: www.depotslc.com
· Skateboarding legend and humanitarian, Tony Hawk will receive the X-Dance “Best Athlete of the Year” award at the X-Dance 2008 closing ceremonies at The Depot on Wednesday, January 23rd. X-dance is honored to recognize Hawk’s contribution to the action sports industry and society at large. The Tony Hawk Foundation has awarded over $2 million to help build free public skate parks in low income areas across the country. www.tonyhawkfoundation.com
· Athletes like motocross king Travis Pastrana, snowboarder sensation Tara Dakides, extreme skier Scot Schmidt, Aussie surfers Koby & Sunny Abberton of the Bra Boys, skater legend Tony Hawk and more will be on site at the closing party.
· Sponsor Parties (Media & Invitation Only): The X-Dance Opening kicks off the festival on Saturday, January 19 honoring the new film “Bra Boys, presented by Berkla films. Beat master Trevor “Trouble Andrews will perform. Sunday night’s after party will be hosted by Studio 411, celebrating top snowboarder Tara Dakides’ world premiere of “Against the Grain. Monday night’s VIP event lauds the world premiere of motocross maverick Travis Pastranna’s “199 Lives, sponsored by Studio 411. All parties will be held at The Broadway Bistro (280 S. Main St, Salt Lake City; (801) 363-8900) from 10:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. with music, food, and mayhem. Invite only for all parties.