ULTIMATE BOARDER SURF SKATE SNOW TRIATHLON ANNOUNCES SOLO AND TEAM ATHLETE ROSTER
Legends, pros and young riders will all compete for a $60,000 prize purse
Santa Barbara, California (March 18, 2011) – The Ultimate Boarder® Championship announced the official athlete roster today.
The 4th annual weeklong event takes place starting April 2nd at Mammoth Mountain and then moves to Seaside Reef, California from April 4 – April 9, 2011. Now in its fourth year, the Ultimate Boarder® Championship is the only triathlon on the planet that brings together the world’s best surfers, skaters and snowboarders for a grueling one-week series.
This is the first year the event has partnered with Mammoth Mountain and the first time in the history of California State Parks there has ever been a skate contest at Seaside Reef and at a California state park.
The unique, spectator and family friendly event will bring together legends of the sport with young up and comers, rookies and professional athletes who will compete in all three sports over a grueling week for a $30,000 first place cash prize. There will also be a team division, and a youth division for kids 15 and under.
"The event shows the history of boardsports and it also shows the future and ties it all together better than any other contest around," said Nat Young, five-time World Champ Surfer and author of The History of Surfing.
"This is the most talented group of riders we have ever had," said event founder Tim Hoover. "Anyone can take this year's prize and I am so excited that we are having a live webcast because now anyone can follow the action during each stage right at their computer."
The event is free and open to the public and there will be a live webcast starting April 2, 2011 from Mammoth Mountain at www.ultimateboarder.com.
Click HERE for the most up to date rider list.
ATHLETE HIGHLIGHTS AND POTENTIAL STORY ANGLES:
– Chad Shetler, who won the last two Ultimate Boarder competitions, often flies under the radar moonlighting mostly as the full time skate team manager for Lost Clothing.
– 13 year-old Kalani David from the North Shore of Oahu is the youngest competitor ever to compete in the solo division of Ultimate Boarder. He is a potential threat in the surf and skate portions of the event.
– Snowboarding Legends Bryan Iguchi, Dave Downing & Todd Richards still competing past age 40.
– Christian and his son Greyson Fletcher of the legendary Fletcher surfing family are the first father/son duo to compete against each other in an Ultimate Boarder Championship. It will also be one of the first times in action sports history that a father has competed against his son in a surf, skate or snow event.
– Snowboarder Chas Guldemond is fresh off victories at the Sprint US Grand Prix & Oakley Artic Challenge and will be tough to beat in Stage 1 – Snowboarding, but how will he finish in surf & skate?
– Kristian Philipp a construction worker from New Zealand, who trains all year for the event, has finished 3rd, 2nd, & 2nd since the event started. Can he finally top the podium?
NOTABLE SOLO ATHLETES COMPETING:
Two time champion Chad Shetler (Dana Point, CA), defending champion Mike Morrissey (Laguna Beach, CA) & inaugural event champion Aaron Astorga (Carlsbad, CA) all will be returning against event veterans Todd Richards (Encinitas, CA); Kristian Philipp (Auckland, NZ); Dave Downing (Encinitas, CA); Cheyne Magnusson (Oceanside, CA); Eric McHenry (Cardiff, CA); Christian Fletcher (San Clemente, CA); Omar Hassan (Newport Beach, CA); Brian Richardson (San Diego, CA); Adam Taylor (Encinitas, CA); Shayne Pospisil (Manasquan, NJ); Trevor Jacob (Mammoth Lakes, CA) Bryce Young (Angourie, AUS); Jonathan Warren (W. Palm Beach, FL); Kyle Knox (Imperial Beach, CA) & Tosh Townend (Huntington Beach, CA) with a solid crop of new comers Chas Guldemond (Reno, NV); Josh Borden (Orange, CA); Zach Miller (Del Mar, CA); Eddie Wall (Carlsbad, CA); Pat Millin (Solana Beach, CA); Greyson Fletcher (San Clemente, CA); Curtis Ciszek (Bend, OR); Scott Blum (Newbury Park, CA) & Kalani David (North Shore, Oahu)
NOTABLE TEAMS competing include: Hurley, LOST, Billabong, Val Surf and Sector 9 with standout athletes like Rob Machado, Curren Caples, Mason Aguirre, Wade Goodall, Connor Coffin, Austin Smith, Pat Duffy, and Steve Caballero.
Snowboarding – Mammoth Mountain, CA (April 2, 2011)
Surfing – Seaside Reef, Cardiff, CA (*April 4-7, 2011) (*waiting period, one-day event)
Skateboarding & Awards – Seaside Reef Parking Lot, Cardiff, CA (April 9, 2011)
LIVEWEBCAST HOSTS (webcast at www.ultimateboarder.com):
Snowboarding: BRAD J & KEVIN PEARCE w/ TAWNYA SCHULTZ
Surfing: BRAD J & CHRIS COTE w/ MARY OSBORNE
Skateboarding: BRAD J & JESSE FRITSCH w/ HOLLY LYONS
Skate Announcer: SERGIE VENTURA
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PICTURES AND ATHLETE BIOS: