Snowboard videos are designed to get us hyped to ride. And while most films get the blood pumping, some juice us up just a bit more. Kazuhiro Kokubo's new signature project, Kamikazu, is of the latter variety.
Since his entrance onto the scene at the 2004 US Open—where he snagged second as an unknown 14-year-old—Kazu has been a fan favorite. It’s a reputation he's earned. After his departure from the competitive spotlight, Kazu made a pact to snowboard on his terms alone. Not long after, he emerged from the shadows in a manner explosive as his 2004 introduction. This time, however, Kazu traded the firm walls of a halfpipe for the powder-laden slopes of the backcountry.
Kazu is at the point in his career that warrants a signature film project, and when that opportunity presented itself, the value he puts on originality determined its cast. The inherent hype that surrounds Kazu has built the film up to be among of the best released of recent, so it wasn’t a surprise that its world premiere drew a crowd. The sheer volume of attendants, however, was more than we anticipated.
Anticipation for the season ahead is the purpose a snowboard premiere. The list of attendees from around the world was staggering, as Kazu and friends made the trip from Japan and others like Kevin Backstrom and Max Buri crept in from Europe, in the midst of The Future of Yesterday premiere tour. RSVPs far exceeded capacity, and those that found their way through the door enjoyed a show worth standing in line for.
Kamikazu sets a new precedent in the documentation of backcountry freestyle snowboarding. With staggering clips from a cast that spans generations and genres, it is a film that defines the current state of pow riding. For anyone who enjoys riding deep snow with their friends, Kamikazu is the epitome of perfection in that regard. Portland was stop number one. We urge you to join us on the Cold Front Tour, where we will be showing Kamikazu, The Future of Yesterday, and Beta in a city near you soon.
- Portland, OR: Thursday, October 4th — See Recap Here
- Seattle, WA: Saturday, October 6th — See Recap Here
- Salt Lake City, UT: Thursday, October 11th — See Recap Here
- Denver, CO: Saturday, October 13th — See Recap Here
- Minneapolis, MN: Thursday, October 18th — RSVP HERE
- Chicago, IL: Saturday, October 20th — RSVP HERE
- New York, NY: Thursday, October 25th — RSVP HERE
- Boston, MA: Saturday, October 27th —RSVP HERE
- Reno, NV: Thursday, November 1st — RSVP HERE
- San Diego, CA: Saturday, November 3rd — RSVP HERE