Santa Fe Springs, CA — Vans has announced that thecompany will stage an innovative series of new world-class professionalevents in 2005, one each for skateboarding, BMX and snowboarding, joiningthe legendary three-stop Vans Triple Crown of Surfing. The new structuregives each event a character and contest format that is unique to thatsport, allowing for more freedom of progression, the hallmark of actionsports. With the evolution of Vans’ event strategy, the current format ofthe Vans Triple Crown Series will change. As the worldwide leader inaction sports, Vans looks for these new events to be a collaborative effortwith from athletes to other core companies within the action sportsindustry, as well as an avenue for compatible brands to connect with theaction sports audience.
“Action sports have always been about progression … from the technicalaspects, to the surrounding culture to the way that the sports arepresented, said Chris Strain, Vans’ vice president, marketing. “As acompany that has been around since the inception of what is now known asaction sports and as a leading supporter of the action sports lifestyle,it’s time for Vans to re-invent the competitive piece.
Each sport will have an accompanying television special exploring thevaried and unique stories that unfold over the course of the weekend. Theexception is six hours of coverage devoted to fully narrate the drama ofthe Vans Triple Crown of Surfing.
2005 Event Line-up
Vans Snow Event
· February 2005 at Northstar-at-Tahoe
· Innovative new Slope Style format, Super Pipe, off-site night-timeRail Jam
Vans Street and Pool Skate Events
· June 2005; exact Southern California location TBD
· One-of-kind city street skate contest with accompanying pool eventattracting the world’s greatest bowl skaters in a nod to classicskateboarding
Vans BMX Event
· October 21-23, 2005 in Las Vegas (coinciding with the world’s largestretail bike show, InterBike)
· Weekend devoted to freestyle BMX with Street, Dirt and Flatlandparticipants
In addition, the 2004 Vans Triple Crown of Surfing schedule at Oahu’sfamous North Shore includes the Vans Hawaiian Pro (November 12-24), theO’Neill World Cup of Surfing (November 26-December 7) and the Rip Curl ProPipeline Masters (December 8-20).
For more information on Vans, please visit www.vans.com.