Truckee, CA (March 4, 2007) — In perhaps the most heated Superpipe contestsof the winter, Danny Kass and Elena Hight each captured Vans Cup titlesSunday afternoon at Northstar-at-Tahoe Resort. Kass put together a seriesof varied technical runs highlighted by a frontside 1080 to Cab 1080 comboto win over the judges and claim the $21,000 first place check. Lastyear’s champ, Finn Antti Autti, was runner-up and Iouri Podlatchokov, aRussian by way of Zurich, took third. For the ladies, it was Hight who wasable to land a back-to-back 900s, the only 900s successfully completed onthe day. Kelly Clark and Clair Bidez completed the top three of thewomen’s Superpipe jam.
In earlier action this weekend, Norwegian Andreas Wiig and SoCal shredderHana Beaman each captured their first Vans Cup titles in winning theSlopestyle comp on Saturday afternoon. Wiig, who took first at the X Gamesin Aspen last month, won $21,000 for his efforts, while Beaman flippedspots with X Games gold medalist and defending Vans Cup slope titlist JamieAnderson of South Lake Tahoe to win $17,000. Scotty Lago and Danny Kassrounded out the top three for the guys, while Canadian Marie-France Roy wasthird among the women.
Jib masters Lucas Magoon and Erin Comstock nabbed titles in the Rail Jambefore an enthusiastic crowd Friday night under the lights. InclineVillage local Comstock took home $2,600 with smooth frontside boardslideson the down rail and powerful 50-50′s through the kinked rail, whileMagoon, who has been torrid on the rail contest circuit this winter,grabbed $12,000 with the most technical combos on the rails against alarger men’s field.
Look for plenty of photos, podcasts and video highlights at www.vans.com.The Vans Cup at Tahoe television special debuts on FUEL TV in two parts onMay 7 and May 21 at 9:30 PM ET/PT.
Sunday, March 4 – Superpipe Finals
1. Danny Kass (Vernon, NJ) 92.1 $21,000
2. Antti Autti (Rovaniemi, FIN) 86.0 $12,000
3. Iouri Polatchokov (Zurich, SWZ) 84.2 $7,000
1. Elena Hight (South Lake Tahoe, CA) 75.8 $17,000
2. Kelly Clark (Mount Snow, VT) 73.7 $8,500
3. Clair Bidez (Minturn, CO) 65.0 $3,000
Saturday, March 3 – Slopestyle Finals
1. Andreas Wiig (Asker, NOR) 92.1 $21,000
2. Scotty Lago (Seabrook, NH) 86.0 $14,500
3. Danny Kass (Vernon, NJ) 84.2 $7,400
1. Hana Beaman (Mammoth Lakes, CA) 75.8 $17,000
2. Jamie Anderson (South Lake Tahoe, CA) 73.7 $8,500
3. Marie-France Roy (Whistler, CAN) 65.0 $3,000
Friday, March 2 — Rail Jam Results
1. Lucas Magoon (Silverthorn, CO) $12,000
2. Yale Cousino (Lincoln, VT) $8,000
3. Keegan Vailaika (Dana Point, CA) $4,000
1. Erin Comstock (Incline Village, NV) $2,600
2. Silvia Mittermuller (Munich, GER) $1,000
3. Leanne Pelosi (Calgary, CAN) $1,000
The Vans Cup at Tahoe is made possible by the support of Rockstar EnergyDrink, Scion, Snowboarder Magazine and FUEL TV, the 24/7 action sportslifestyle network.
For more information on Vans and the Vans Cup at Tahoe, visit www.vans.com.