By Mr. Marius Sommer
1. Approach the lip with the same amount of speed as you would for a medium-sized air.
2. Let your board think you’re going to do an air to fakie when you leave the lip to do an alley-oop.
3. Look up the pipe when you take off, and lead the rotation by turning your lower shoulder down and to the right. At this time you’ll be drifting backward without knowing what’s behind you. Nice!
4. Grab the board with your front hand on the heel edge just in front of your binding-like a good ‘ol, stylish backside air.
5. Move your head to see the landing, and then focus on that spot until you’re there.
6. Tweak as if you’re doing a backside air on a straight jump.
7. Hold the grab.
8. Hold the grab a bit more!
9. Point it toward the landing, and let go of the board.
Marius, by trade, is a sheep tender in the hills of his native Norway. His main hobbies are chess and soccer. He fancies his girlfriend Lisa, deep powder, and the music of Tool. He’s thinking of joining either the Guardian Angels or Hells Angels in the future. For more insight on the Norwegian Berserker, read his TransWorld interview in the February 1998 issue. Sköl!