Vancouver, BC ¿ Peak Productions Inc. announced today that the Kokanee Boardercross® North American Championships will be held at Mount Seymour in Vancouver, BC, from February 22-24, 2001. The three-day event will showcase the ultimate in Boardercross racing with top Canadian & International snowboard stars competing for a $25,000 cash prize purse.
“Mount Seymour is where it all began for us in 1994″, says Event Chairman and Peak Productions’ President Erik Kalacis. “This is where PEAK began its commitment to deliver high caliber events to the athletes, sponsors and resorts, contributing to the extensive growth of Boardercross around the world.”
“The Kokanee Boardercross was the first major snowboarding event that Mount Seymour ever had, and we’re delighted to continue the long-standing tradition,” says Eddie Wood, General Manager at Mount Seymour. “The Kokanee Tour has attributed to the growth and popularity of snowboarding at Mount Seymour, and the exposure we’ve received from the snowboard industry as a result of hosting these events has been phenomenal.”
“Kokanee and Boardercross are naturally linked…both were born in the mountains,” says Monique Zarry, Kokanee’s Marketing Manager. “Kokanee is thrilled to be a part of the season’s most exciting snowboarding event, the 2001 Kokanee Boardercross North American Championships at Mount Seymour. We brought the Kokanee Kross Classic here first in 1994, and with the sport’s growth over the last decade, this year’s event promises to thrill both participants and spectators.”
Since it’s inception in 1991, Boardercross racing has fast become the world’s premier snowboard competition. Invented and developed on the West Coast, the sport features riders racing head-to-head, six at a time, down a course laden with jumps, banked turns, whoops, rollers and more!
The top pro-riders expected to compete include:
* Drew Neilson (Vancouver, BC) ¿ 1st place 2000 Kokanee Boardercross Grand Nationals, Mt.Seymour, 2000 X Games Boardercross Champion, 2000 Gravity Games Boardercross Champion, 1st place 2000 Swatch Boardercross World Tour Finals, Laax, Switzerland.
* Nillard Pilavakis (Sugarloaf, ME) ¿ 1999 ISF Boardercross Champion, 1999 Swatch Boardercross World Tour Champion
* Maelle Ricker (Vancouver, BC) ¿ 1999 X Games Boardercross Champion, 1999 ISF World Boardercross Champion
* Mark Schulz (Welches, OR) ¿ 2000 US Open, 6th place, 2000 Swatch Boardercross World Tour, Aspen/Snowmass, 6th place
* Andrew Murphy (Whistler, BC) ¿ 2000 Kokanee Boardercross Grand Nationals Tour Champion
Thursday February 22 Registration & Training, Media Day
Friday February 23 Time Trials (open ¿ 225 riders)
Saturday February 24 Boardercross Finals (fastest 24 Women and 48 Men from Time Trials)
Produced by Peak Productions Inc. and sanctioned by the Canadian Snowboard Federation (CSF), the Kokanee Boardercross® North American Championships at Mount Seymour is open to all riders aged nineteen years and older, and will feature live entertainment, parties, and a festival village. Members of the media are invited to attend a press reception at Mount Seymour on Thursday, February 22, to meet the top athletes.
For more information and sponsorship inquiries please contact:Marnie DiGiandomenico, Peak Productions Inc.T: 604-924-0515 x.21
F: 604-924-0301 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org