DENVER, Colorado — Gart Sports Company (Nasdaq: GRTS) announced its 1999 vendor achievement awards, including its selection of K2, Inc. as the 1999 Overall Vendor of the Year.
The annual award program recognizes one vendor from each of Gart Sports’ six major product categories and one overall vendor of the year. Vendors were honored for their efforts in building strategic and mutually beneficial partnerships with Gart Sports during 1999. Vendors received their awards on Monday, June 12, 2000 at the SportsLab trade show in Las Vegas.
K2 Inc. (NYSE: KTO), a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of brand name sporting goods, recreational and industrial products based in Los Angeles, California, was honored as the overall vendor of the year for their innovative products in skis, snowboards, in-line skates, skateboards and fishing products as well as their commitment to on-time delivery. In addition to K2 Inc., six other vendors received 1999 vendor partnership awards in the following product categories:
* Footwear – New Balance Athletic Shoe, Inc. (Boston, MA), manufacturer and marketer of technically innovative, width-sized, performance footwear and apparel for women, men and children.
* Apparel – Brooks Sports, Inc. (Bothell, WA), manufacturer of performance footwear, apparel, and accessories for runners and fitness enthusiasts worldwide.
* Outdoor – The Coleman Company, Inc. (Wichita, KS), a leading maker of outdoor recreation gear including coolers, backpacks, camp stoves, and other camping accessories.
* Athletics – Wilson (Chicago, IL), one of the world’s leading manufacturers of sports equipment specializing in making technologically-advanced products that help enhance the average sports participant’s performance.
* Replenishment – Exercera (Manhattan Beach, CA), a direct importer of exercise and weight products.
* Winter Sports – Atomic Ski (Austria), Austria’s leading manufacturer of ski and snowboard equipment.
Doug Morton, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Gart Sports, stated, “We are very pleased to recognize these vendors as key partners in what was a very successful 1999 for us. We look forward to lasting relationships with these companies, and, together, to continue to improve upon the great results we shared this past year.”
Gart Sports has donated $2,000 on behalf of K-2 and $1,000 on behalf of each of the other award winners to the National Sports Center for the Disabled, (NSCD), headquartered in Winter Park, Colorado, the primary recipient of Gart Sports’ charitable contribution program.
“We are proud to be actively involved as a company and as individuals with Hal O’Leary, founder of the NSCD, the world’s largest provider of outdoor programs for children and adults with disabilities,” commented Mr. Morton. “Their programs enable people with physical and mental disabilities to experience the joy and freedom of skiing, sailing, horseback riding, camping and many other outdoor sporting activities that, prior to the NSCD, were not available to them.”
Gart Sports is the second largest publicly traded full-line sporting goods retailer in the U.S. and the leading full-line sporting goods retailer in the Rocky Mountain region. The Company offers a comprehensive high-quality assortment of brand name sporting apparel and equipment at competitive prices, and operates 126 stores in 16 states under the Gart Sports and Sportmart names.