JUNE MTN., Calif. — Nineteen year-old John Summers (Lake Tahoe, CA) out-performed many of the nation’s best snowboarders and walked away with the national halfpipe title Saturday at June Mountain.
“I had two solid runs,” Summers said. “I went in real conservative and pulled out some good tricks. I tried to get points from all of the judges – amplitude, spins, and landings. I guess it was just my day today.”
Local boarder Jeff Anderson (Mammoth Lakes, CA) placed second. “I went pretty big on the first couple of hits, and I was stoked on that,” Anderson said. U.S. Snowboard Team member and 1995 U.S. Halfpipe Champion Lael Gregory (Eugene, OR) came in third place.
X-NIX U.S. Snowboard Championships
Saturday, March 30
June Mountain, California
1. John Sommers, Lake Tahoe, CA, 75
2. Jeff Anderson, Mammoth Lakes, CA, 74.6
3. Lael Gregory, Eugene, OR, 71.9
4. Tomy Czeschin, Mammoth Lakes, CA, 70.4
5. Zach Horwitz, Aspen, CO, 69.7
6. Dustin Delgudice, Mammoth Lakes, CA, 69.5
7. John Bainton, 69.2
8. Eric Rosenwald, 67.8
9. Travis McLain, 67.7
10. Mike Michaelchuck, 66.1.