Vancouver, BC, October 20, 2000 ¿ The Swatch Boardercross® World Tour, one of the world’s longest running and most exciting snowboard tours, returns to the U.S. for its 5th season with a historic $100,000 cash prize purse. The Tour will kick off with its only U.S. stop at Aspen Colorado’s Buttermilk Mountain on January 10-13, 2001.
The 3-day event will showcase the ultimate in Boardercross racing with the discipline’s top stars. The Boardercross World Tour, pioneered by Swatch, attracts a world wide following of top athletes, including:
* Shaun Palmer (USA) ¿ 1999 World ISF Boardercross Champion, three time X Games Champion.
* Nillard Pilavakis (USA) ¿ 1999 Swatch Boardercross World Tour Champion.
* Phillipe Conte (FRA) ¿ 2000 ISF Boardercross Tour Champion.
* Marguerite Cossettini (AUS) ¿ 1st place 2000 Swatch Boardercross World Tour, Aspen/Snowmass, CO.
* Drew Neilson (CAN) ¿ 2000 X Games Boardercross Champion, 2000 Gravity Games Boardercross Champion, 1st place 2000 Swatch Boardercross World Tour Finals, Laax, Switzerland.
Boardercross has become the world’s premier snowboard event due to the unbeatable excitement created when riders race head-to-head, 6 at a time, down a course laden with jumps, banked turns, whoops, rollers and more!
January 10 & 11 ¿ Registration & Training
January 12 ¿ Time Trials (open ¿ 225 riders)
January 13 ¿ Boardercross Finals (fastest 24 Women and 48 Men from Time Trials)
A festival-like atmosphere will showcase the soul and culture of snowboarding, including an industry demo village, live music, DJs, and parties. The event will also feature the 3rd Annual Kick Aspen Big Air Invitational to be held on the evening of January 13.
Since its launch in 1983, Swatch has been leading the world in time-keeping with over 250 million watches sold world-wide, and innovative technology such as the Swatch Access – the first electronic ski lift ticket, currently in use at ski resorts around the world.
Produced by Peak Sports & Entertainment Inc. and sanctioned by the International Snowboard Federation (ISF), the Swatch Boardercross® World Tour at Aspen is open to all riders and will be broadcast on the USA Network. For more information and registration log onto www.boardercross.com or call PEAK Sports Inc. at 604-924-0515.
The 2 other stops on the Swatch Boardercross® World Tour are Nagoya, Japan, March 1-4 and Laax, Switzerland, April 5-8.