If you find yourself in Southern California this coming Memorial Day and are looking for something pretty damned wild to get down with, the Lightning in a Bottle (LIB) Festival is the freak-out for you. An eclectic music and arts festival managed by the same crew who brings us Coachella and the Virgin Music Fest, LIB has long been one of the most beloved festivals experiences of them all. Offering more of a community vibe than the big guns and much more music-based than some of the more well-known freakshows out there, LIB is the prime destination for kids looking to have a great time, but not necessarily need to believe they’re a 10-foot tall, polka-dotted ape in the desert for a week (looking at you, Burning Man).
The music line-up definitely panders a bit to the electronica/trip-hop/DJ crowd (showcase acts like Booka Shade are heading the bill), but with such a vast group of bands, performers, artists and ridiculous parties going on throughout the weekend, everyone can get down. And I can’t even imagine the insanity that camping area will be holding…
If you’re in the area this Memorial Day, check it out. Maybe we’ll see you at the Glitch Mob show, or taking “Growing and Using Medicinal Herbs”… wow.
May 28th – 31st, 2010 ~ Irvine, CA ~
This Memorial Day weekend, the music, arts and green living worlds will converge at Oak Canyon Ranch in Irvine, California for The Do LaB’s 5th annual Lightning in a Bottle Festival on May 28 – 31, 2010. Celebrated for their one-of-a-kind interactive art environments, The Do LaB will bring its signature imaginative experience design stamp, as seen at festivals all over the world such as Coachella and Virgin Music Festival.
The new site of the four-day, three-night festival for all ages features over 100 acres of sprawling hills, lush trees and a tranquil reservoir, and accommodates up to 6,000 day guests and overnight campers combined. Oak Canyon Ranch is located just one hour south of Los Angeles and 45 minutes north of San Diego.
With a lineup that is equal parts music, art and green workshops, Lightning in a Bottle will envelop its guests in a myriad of activities throughout the festival. Three-day passes are available at this time to encourage a sense of community among all of the artists, musicians, performers, friends and families. Tickets are available in advance starting at $190 online at http://lightninginabottle.org/buy-tickets/.
This year’s festival includes:
* Three stages of music featuring Booka Shade, The Album Leaf, Adam Freeland, The Glitch Mob, Apparat, EOTO, Daedelus, Beats Antique, Sandra Collins, The Very Best, Krazy Baldhead, Nosaj Thing, Lee Burridge, Vibesquad, KRADDY, Bluetech Live, John Tejada, March Fourth Marching Band, MiMoSA, BLVD, Eliot Lipp, Ott, Dj Garth, Rey Fresco, Big Gigantic, Random Rab, MartyParty, An-ten-nae, Daddy Kev, Emancipator, David Starfire Live Ensemble, Treavor Moontribe, Obscure, Patricio, R/D, Fishtank Ensemble, Jupit3r, El Papachango, The Bodyrock Dj’s, Lynx & Janover, Vagabond Opera, Saynt, Dj Laura, Shawna, Solillaquists of Sound, Govinda, Rena Jones, Jesse Wright, Heyoka, Sidecar Tommy, Kitty D, The Luminaries, Geno Cochino, The Makers, Ron Levy, Michael Hart, Manny Greensector, Terrakroma, Motion Potion, Dj Wolfie, Jokton Strealy, The Ianator, Sammy Bliss, Blue Insomnia, Vokab Kompany, Red Sonya, Cohen, Timonkey, Bass Cadet, Wyse, Peter Goetz, micah j, Auditory Canvas, Pumpkin, SaQi, Faith
* Art installations curated by Marsi Frey and an art gallery curated by Mike Russek and Deborah Vogt
* Green living workshops dedicated to providing practical, do-it-yourself lessons on creating a healthy, low-cost, sustainable lifestyle, including “Small space container gardening”, ” How to make raw chocolate”, “Growing & using medicinal herbs” and more
* Yoga classes and dance classes taught by industry leaders
* Children’s activities featuring an interactive kid zone filled with arts and games
* Lightning in a Paintcan Project, curated by Carmen Zella, will feature local artists who will transform over-sized mural panels, set up throughout the site, into paintings with 100% used and recycled paint. The art pieces will be sold in a silent auction where proceeds will benefit Sonic Muze, a non-profit that provides underfunded schools with music instruments and art supplies.
* Live performances by various dance troupes such as Lucent Dossier, Vau de Vire Society, Ricochet- Poetic Acrobats, Fire Groove, Shakti Sunfire, Stilt Circus and the Wandering Marionettes
* Organic food vendors and alcohol for sale plus free filtered drinking water on site for attendees who bring their own containers
Lightning in a Bottle will take place at Oak Canyon Ranch located at 5305 Santiago Canyon Rd., Irvine , California. For more information, including festival hours, gate times and to purchase tickets, go to http://lightninginabottle.org/.