SNOWSHOE MOUNTAIN RESORT RECIVES FIRST SNOWFALL OF THE SEASON
The first early flakes on the East Coast fall atop the West Virginia Resort
Snowshoe, WV-Winter has made an early appearance at Snowshoe Mountain, where periodic snow fell overnight and into the morning on Oct 5th. Monday began as a cool fall day, and a cold drizzle fell for much of the late afternoon as temperatures didn’t rise above 45 degrees. Temperatures continued to fall overnight, and a light freezing rain mixed with occasional flurries fell, covering some car windshields in a light mist. Temperatures continued to drop during the early morning hours, and by 9am the freezing mark had been reached. More defined snowflakes were reported across the mountaintop, with the most significant flurries occurring at the Silver Creek Area. No accumulation occurred.
Snowshoe is often the first resort in the mid-Atlantic and Southeast to see natural flakes and to begin snowmaking efforts. With a peak elevation of 4848′ and a unique microclimate, the resort often sees colder temperatures and more wintry precipitation than the rest of the region. Snowshoe averages 180″ of snowfall a year, and last year had a similar early start to the season with the first snow on Oct 18th. That snowfall kicked off one of Snowshoe’s snowiest seasons in recent memory, with a total of 231″. Snowshoe plans a November 1st start to snowmaking efforts, with a scheduled Opening Day of November 24th.
With the excitement surrounding the year’s first snowfall, Snowshoe is currently offering some great early season deals, including a ski free offer. Snowshoe’s Hot Deals can be found at snowshoemtn.com, and reservations may be made by visiting snowshoemtn.com, or by calling 877-441-4386.
- Snowshoe Mountain resort received its first snowfall of the season overnight and into the morning of Oct 5th.
- Snowmaking is scheduled to begin November 1st.
- The resort has tentatively scheduled Opening Day for the 10.11 Ski Season for Nov 24th, but may open sooner if conditions allow.
- Last season the resort saw its first snowfall on Oct 18th.
- Last season’s snowfall total was 231″, including 100+” in February.
- The resort sees an annual average of 180″ of natural snowfall and has one of the most advanced snowmaking systems in the country.
- More information at snowshoemtn.com or 877-441-4386.
For more details on all of Snowshoe’s early season operations and reservations, visit http://www.snowshoemtn.com or call 1-877-441-4386.