ESPN Winter X Games Debuts Video Competition Snowboard Real Snow
Digital competition element will award prize money and medals
Following the success of this past summer’s Skateboard Real Street, the first video-only contest at X Games, ESPN will addSnowboard Real Snow to the Winter X Games 15 to be held January 27-30. XGames.com/realsnow will host the videos of eight of the world’s best snowboarders competing for prize money and medals. All videos will air during the Winter X Games telecast. Like the Real Street competition, Real Snow athletes will be given the opportunity to team with an editor to partner on the production of the video and present their vision, their way.
“Snowboard videos have been a hugely popular part of the snowboard culture for many years and we are excited to align a competitive X Games event with this aspect of the industry,” said Tim Reed, senior director of sports & competition. “For the first time, these video stars will have ESPN’s global distribution to showcase their tremendous talents and we are thrilled to provide this unique and compelling content to our fans.”
The eight athletes invited to compete with their most recent standout video parts are:
- Dan Brisse (26, Richmond, Minn.) – 2010, Absinthe Films’ Now/Here
- Simon Chamberlain (25, Lindsay, Ontario, Canada) – 2010, People Creative’s Cheers
- Seth Huot (33, Stansbury Park, Utah) – People Creative’s Cheers
- Jeremy Jones (34, Sandy, Utah) – 2010, People Creative’s Cheers
- Louis-Felix Paradis (24, Québec City, Québec, Canada) – 2010, Videograss’ Bon Voyage
- Joe Sexton (23, Apple Valley, Minn.) – 2010, People Creative’s Cheers
- Nic Suave (23, Québec City, Québec, Canada) – 2010, Forum’s F’ It
- JP Walker (34, Salt Lake City, Utah) – 2010, People Creative’s Cheers
Each of the eight riders will submit a one-minute video with a maximum of eight tricks to be judged by a committee of well-respected snowboarding industry professionals. A first place prize of $50,000 will be awarded to the winner, as well as gold, silver and bronze X Games medals. All individual videos will air during the Winter X Games 15 telecast Saturday, January 29. Additionally, all eight athletes will compete in the inaugural Snowboard Street competition live on Saturday night in Aspen at Winter X Games 15.
None of the individual videos have ever been seen; they will debut on XGames.com/realsnow January 12. Fans will also have a chance to view and vote on their favorite video in a tournament-style bracket with the fan favorite winning $2,500. The site will also include photo galleries of the participating riders.